17 Sep Project Director, HerStart Innovate the Future
Location: Toronto or Ottawa, international travel required
Commitment: 37.5 hours/week within a highly flexible working environment
Compensation: $93,500 CAD + comprehensive health benefits and employer RRSP contribution
Start Date: October 2021
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners, we create market-ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
HerStart Innovate the Future
HerStart Innovate the Future is a program developed by Youth Challenge International to foster and create innovative solutions for a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
The program includes training and support for aspiring entrepreneurs in social enterprise, gender-responsive business planning, the measurement of social impact, and access to finance. Canadian volunteers will be engaged in providing human capital support for activities through on-site placements and capacity-building initiatives with partner organizations. Additionally, an entrepreneurial ecosystem will be catalyzed to identify and reduce gendered barriers, which will foster more enabling environments for young female entrepreneurs. This funding mechanism will also provide programmatic support for organizations to more effectively deliver gender-responsive activities that drive sustainable business ventures.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Project Director will manage YCI’s HerStart Innovate the Future project. This includes providing strategic oversight as well as knowledge, learning and evaluation activities to staff teams, furthering gender equality and gender mainstreaming efforts, providing technical support to programs on youth livelihoods and women’s economic empowerment, coordinating with YCI’s teams to deliver exceptional results, establishing and maintaining positive, collaborative and productive relationships with staff, as well as funding and project partners. The Project Director is a strategic member of the YCI leadership team with the goal to increase the creativity, quality, efficiency and long-term impact of our programs.
We are seeking a passionate, skilled and creative candidate to deliver exceptional results. We are looking for people to join our team who believe in youth as powerful agents of change and those who are motivated by contributing to women’s empowerment and advancing both national and global gender equality agendas.
Responsibilities will include:
- Project Execution: Provide leadership and management to the HerStart Innovate the Future project, including the coordination and oversight of international project teams; oversee the coordination of technical partners and sub-contractors; oversee the HerStart fellowship program (Canadian volunteer placements) in strategy and implementation planning; manage the HerStart Catalyst Fund development and execution; oversee HerStart risk management by identifying potential risks that could affect the project at all levels; effectively coordinate with people, operations, finance, project and communication teams to deliver exceptional results; design, monitor and execute project implementation plans, annual work plans and donor reporting to ensure funder and internal compliance; provide overall management to project budget and financial administration as it relates to HerStart project performance.
- Technical Execution: Drive exceptional results through a solution-oriented mindset and the technical execution of HerStart; oversee iterative learning, monitoring and evaluation through to policy and practice; provide technical assistance and training across teams; lead gender equality integration and policy and practice development; lead HerStart’s youth livelihoods technical development while consistently driving and exploring innovation.
- Support to Special Projects and Strategic Initiatives: Provide support to special projects and strategic initiatives in coordination with the Executive Director; perform other duties as requested by the Executive Director.
Skills and Experience
- 8+ years of progressively responsible management and leadership experience
- Known as an entrepreneurial leader
- Significant global experience and understanding of what it takes to be a successful partner in sub-Saharan Africa
- Passionate about investing in women and youth livelihoods with a track record in youth livelihoods and innovation
- Can demonstrate how you have built effective teams, leadership capacity and partnerships
- Exemplify a strategic mindset and skilled at designing and implementing effective plans to achieve ambitious goals
- Understand the importance of culture and how it contributes to success or failure
- Celebrate and integrate learnings from both failure and success
- Effective communicator with bilingual capacity
- Permanent resident or a citizen of Canada, residing in Canada
Deadline to apply: October 1, 2021, 6:00pm EST
Please submit your CV and cover letter as a single PDF document, maximum 3 pages, saved in the following format: “First Name Last Name_Project Director”. To ensure any incoming emails do not end up in your spam folder, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contact list.APPLY NOW
COVID- 19: YCI continues to monitor the situation and take precautions based on advice from public health agencies. Please note that the selected candidate may be expected to start the position virtually and should be ready to work in person periodically once permitted (for those Toronto-based).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who may need accommodation to apply.
No phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.