15 Aug Training Coordinator, Zanzibar
Contract Length: 1 year, renewable
Commitment: Full time, 37.5 hours/week
Compensation: 2,000,000 Tsh/month
Start Date: October 2023
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market-ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
HerStart Innovate the Future
HerStart Innovate the Future is an initiative developed by YCI to catalyze and propel a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda. By investing in locally driven solutions and integrating the skillsets of 310 Canadian Fellows, HerStart aims to engage 10,000 young women to participate in the design and development of innovative solutions to the challenges that their communities face.
The program includes training and support for aspiring entrepreneurs in social enterprise, gender-responsive business planning, social impact measurement, and access to finance. Canadian volunteers will be engaged in providing human capital support for activities through on-site placements and capacity-building initiatives with partner organizations. This initiative provides programmatic support for organizations to more effectively deliver environmental and gender-responsive activities that drive sustainable and equitable business ventures. The entrepreneurial ecosystem in each country will be further catalyzed to identify and reduce gendered barriers, which will foster more enabling environments for young female entrepreneurs.
HerStart offers participants three levels of programming and training to support in the following areas: gaining awareness of their own self-development and building leadership skills and confidence; increasing understanding of the potential of social impact through business; identifying opportunities in the green economy and gaining relevant green skills; and developing the knowledge and skills needed to bring an innovative business idea to life.
Reporting to the Project Lead, the Training Coordinator will utilize pre-existing training materials (listed above) and a participatory approach to ensure the high-quality delivery the HerStart Toolkit Curriculum to young women, alongside partner organizations.
We are seeking a passionate, skilled, and creative candidate to deliver exceptional results. We are looking for people to join our team who believe in youth as powerful agents of change, and those who are passionate about contributing to women’s empowerment and advancing both national and global gender equality agendas.
- Training Coordination: Working with partners, oversee and coordinate the co-delivery of activities and initiatives with project partners aligned with project targets and workplans, including weekly planning and logistics for training activities; engage skills-based Canadian volunteers and leverage their expertise in the development and delivery of training initiatives;create and maintain participant records; maintain strong communication with all stakeholders through reporting and in-person engagements; establish and maintain positive, collaborative, and productive relationships with project staff, implementing partners, youth participants and volunteers.
- Training Facilitation: Leverage existing training materials, dynamic facilitation skills and participatory approaches to engage participants in an inclusive and responsive learning environment with partners; oversee quality of partner facilitation of training curriculum, providing technical support in the preparation of training modules and learning materials on main project themes, including social entrepreneurship, green business and women’s leadership development; contribute to ongoing quality improvement of training materials and processes; recognize, and adapt to the needs and strengths of young women program participants, coaching and collaborating with them at varying stages of starting and implementing a successful social enterprise.
- Participant Mobilization and Administration: Support the mobilization and engagement strategy of female participants to the HerStart program, including leading the approach to recruitment, selection, and retention of youth participants and Coordinate with YCI staff and partner trainers as needed for program implementation; mobilize participants to increase access to HerStart activities beyond training, including the Catalyst Fund; support participants to access supports across the social entrepreneurship ecosystem beyond HerStart programming.
- Volunteer Management: Supervise an international and/or national volunteer in their professional deliverables that advance the goals of HerStart, and/or partner organizations; Provide coaching and mentorship to ensure their meaningful engagement and integration into the HerStart program.
Skills and Experience:
- Self-starter with 3+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience in participatory facilitation
- Passionate about investing in women and youth livelihoods and inspired by the potential of innovation and entrepreneurship
- Have a talent for fostering relationships with young people and diverse stakeholders
- Aligned with the Lean Startup approach and familiar with design thinking
- Understand the potential of online and offline learning environments
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and support ventures at the start-up phase
- Possess a learning orientation and willingness to participate in ongoing professional and personal development
- Have a sound working knowledge of multiple methods and tools for organizational capacity building and technical assistance
- Thrive as a team member and work respectfully and inclusively with diverse stakeholders, including international volunteers
- Demonstrate an integrated understanding of the principles of gender equality and the empowerment of girls, including a familiarity with the socio-economic profile of young women in Zanzibar
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal English proficiency and you are a permanent resident or a citizen of Tanzania
Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Exploitation
YCI recognizes the unequal power dynamics inherent in international development work and our responsibility to protect the human rights of the communities we serve and provide an environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse. Youth Challenge International (YCI) commits to a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA).
Deadline to apply: August 30, 2023, 11:59pm EAT (East African Time)
Please note, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage early submissions.
Please submit your CV as a single PDF document, maximum 4 pages, saved in the following format: “First Name Last Name_ Training Coordinator”.
Youth Challenge International provides equal employment opportunities regardless of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. As such, we encourage groups who have been historically disadvantaged with respect to employment to apply for positions at Youth Challenge
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.