13 May Senior Project Manager, HerStart Innovate the Future
Location: Toronto, Canada (hybrid – remote and in-office)
Commitment: 37.5 hours/week within a highly flexible working environment
Compensation: $90,000 CAD + competitive benefits
Contract Term: 2 years, renewable
Start Date: July 2022
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners, we create market-ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
HerStart Innovate the Future
HerStart Innovate the Future is an initiative developed by Youth Challenge International to foster and create innovative solutions for a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania, and Uganda.
The program includes training and support for aspiring entrepreneurs in social enterprise, gender responsive business planning, the measurement of social impact, and access to finance. Canadian volunteers will be engaged in providing human capital support for activities through on-site placements and capacity building initiatives with partner organizations. Additionally, an entrepreneurial ecosystem will be catalyzed to identify and reduce gendered barriers, which will foster more enabling environments for young female entrepreneurs. This funding mechanism will also provide programmatic support for organizations to more effectively deliver gender-responsive activities that drive sustainable business ventures.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Project Manager will manage and coordinate the YCI HerStart: Innovate the Future project. This includes facilitating the management and coordination of staff teams and sub-contracters, providing oversight to knowledge, learning and evaluation, furthering gender equality and gender mainstreaming efforts, providing technical support to multiple program streams with a focus on youth livelihoods and women’s economic empowerment, providing management support and coordination with YCI’s teams to deliver exceptional results, establishing and maintaining positive, collaborative and productive relationships with all staff teams, as well as funding and project partners. The Senior Project Manager will be a key member of the YCI management team, with the goal to increase collaboration, creativity, quality, efficiency, and the long-term impact of our programs.
We are seeking a passionate, skilled, and creative candidate to deliver exceptional results. We are looking for people to join our team who believe in youth as powerful agents of change, and those who are motivated by contributing to women’s empowerment and advancing both national and global gender equality agendas.
- Project Management: Provide management and coordination to the HerStart: Innovate the Future project including the management and coordination of project stakeholders; oversee the coordination of technical partners and sub-contractors; manage the HerStart Catalyst Fund execution in collaboratioin with technical support team; provide management support, collaborative leadership and coordination to Project Leads, People & Operations, Finance, Fellowship and Communication management teams to deliver exceptional results within the HerStart project framework; design, monitor, and execute project implementation plans, annual work plans and donor reporting to ensure funder and internal compliance; provide overall management to project budget and financial administration as it relates to HerStart project performance.
- Technical Execution: Drive exceptional results through a solution oriented and collaborative mindset and the technical execution of HerStart; oversee iterative learning, monitoring and evaluation through to policy and practice; provide technical assistance and training across teams; lead gender equality integration and policy and practice development; lead HerStart’s youth livelihoods technical development while consistently driving and exploring innovation.
- Support to Special Projects and Strategic Initiatives: Provide support to special projects and strategic initiatives in coordination with the Executive Director; perform other duties as requested by the Executive Director.
Skills and Experience
- 7+ years of progressively responsible management experience
- Collaborative leader with demonstrated results through a variety of collaborative engagement models
- Have been fortunate to gain significant global experience and understand what is takes to be a successful partner in sub-Saharan Africa
- Passionate about investing in women and youth livelihoods with a track record in youth livelihoods + innovation
- Can demonstrate how you have built effective teams, leadership capacity and partnerships
- Exemplify a strategic mindset and are skilled at designing and implementing effective plans to achieve ambitious goals
- Understand the importance of culture and how it contributes to success or failure
- Celebrate and integrate learnings from both failure and success
- Effective communicator with bilingual capacity
- Permanent resident or a Citizen of Canada currently residing in Canada
Please note: This position will involve international travel.
Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Youth Challenge International (YCI) commits to a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and considers any such acts a gross misconduct and grounds for dismissal. YCI recognizes the unequal power dynamics inherent in international development work and our responsibility to protect the human rights of the communities we serve and provide an environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse.
Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is everyone’s responsibility, and all employees are required to sign and adhere to the PSEA Policy and Code of Conduct, at all times. All employees must ensure that they understand and act in accordance with this clause.
Deadline to apply: May 30, 2022, 11:59pm EST
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single PDF document, saved in the following format: “First Name Last Name_ Senior Project Manager” at the link below.APPLY NOW
Youth Challenge International provides equal employment opportunities regardless of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. As such, we encourage groups who have been historically disadvantaged with respect to employment to apply for positions at Youth Challenge International.
Should you require any form of accommodation during the recruitment process, kindly contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted