11 Jan Project Lead, Tanzania
Title: Project Lead, Tanzania
Location: Zanzibar, Tanzania with some regional travel required
Contract Length: 1 year, renewable
Compensation: 5,897,397 TZS/month
Commitment: Full time, 37.5 hours/week
Start Date: April 2023
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
HerStart Innovate the Future
HerStart Innovate the Future is an initiative developed by Youth Challenge International to foster and create innovative solutions for a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
The program includes training and support for aspiring entrepreneurs in social enterprise, gender-responsive business planning, social impact measurement and access to finance. Canadian volunteers are engaged in providing human capital support for activities through on-site placements and capacity-building initiatives with partner organizations. Additionally, an entrepreneurial ecosystem is catalyzed to identify and reduce gendered barriers, which will foster more enabling environments for young female entrepreneurs. The program is implemented with partners, prioritizing continued programmatic support for organizations to more effectively deliver gender-responsive activities that drive sustainable business ventures.
The Project Lead, Tanzania, reporting to the Senior Project Manager, will bring initiative, innovation and leadership to the management of HerStart Innovate the Future in Zanzibar and will be accountable for achieving project results at the country level. This role demonstrates people-centred leadership in supporting the YCI team and volunteers in Zanzibar, ensuring they are well-equipped to apply YCI’s principles across all partnerships and activities, and deliver on organizational and program objectives.
We are seeking an experienced, creative and passionate leader to deliver exceptional results. We are looking for people to join our team who believe in youth as powerful agents of change and are passionate about contributing to women’s empowerment through the advancement of both national and global gender equality agendas.
- Program Management: Establish a thriving team culture by leading, managing and further strengthening the capacity of the YCI Zanzibar team and Canadian and national volunteers to deliver high quality project impact; Provide strategic support to ensure that activities are meeting goals and targets, recommending evidence-based adjustments as necessary to keep the project on track; Lead country-level reporting and annual work planning activities; Drive the oversight and implementation of country level HR policies and procedures, including the support of recruitment, onboarding and performance management systems; Support implementation of Gender Equality Strategy and Climate Action Strategy throughout the program; Remain up-to-date on research and sector strategies in relevant areas of programming and ensure strategic planning is responsive to such changes at both the country and global levels; Support the implementation of all country level communication strategies; Ensure team and volunteer well-being, safety, and risk mitigation; Perform other duties as outlined by the Senior Project Manager, HerStart.
- Volunteer Support: Work in collaboration with Headquarters and country office staff to develop robust volunteer management systems, processes, and documents for the entire volunteer mobilization cycle; Ensure and manage appropriate conditions for the effective onboarding, performance and project delivery of Canadian volunteers in Zanzibar; Provide guidance, support and leadership to Canadian volunteers as needed.
- Partner and Relationship Management: Liaise and coordinate with local partners, proactively engaging with sub-contractors to ensure the effective delivery of project activities; Engage private sector and relevant actors in forming a multi-stakeholder network to support youth and women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship objectives; Support the implementation of the HerStart Catalyst Fund for aspiring female social entrepreneurs; Ensure strong communication and relationships are established and maintained with YCI headquarters in Toronto; Remain well-informed about national and regional priorities and issues affecting women and youth, and where possible, position the project to respond appropriately.
- Financial Management, Accountability and Oversight: Monitor and manage annual and multi-year program budgets, ensuring compliance with organizational and donor regulations and requirements; Ensure preparation and submission of financial and project activity reports according to the project reporting processes and standards; Support the Operations and Finance Manager and other technical team leaders to ensure program activities are implemented in accordance with the project budget and work plan.
- Risk Management: Monitor and manage the Risk profile for HerStart in Zanzibar; Act as the focal point for all risk, safety and security incidents related to volunteers in Zanzibar and ensure YCI’s Risk, Safety and Security protocols are monitored and implemented across the project.
Skills and Experience:
- Experienced leader with 8+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience at a management/director level, with a robust understanding of, and compatible vision, for effective community development
- Passionate about investing in women and youth livelihoods and inspired by the possibilities of innovation and entrepreneurship
- Have an appreciation of the contribution of volunteers to international development and ideally, experience in supporting or working with volunteers
- Can demonstrate how you have built effective teams and partnerships and you have leadership capacity and the ability to cultivate lasting relationships to deliver programming through a range of stakeholders, including civil authorities, community group leaders, donors, private sector and other international NGOs
- Exemplify a strategic mindset and are skilled at designing and implementing effective workplans to achieve ambitious goals with sound financial planning and budget management skills
- Have a successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing donor-funded projects, with a demonstrated commitment to team management, mentoring and experience supporting staff teams
- Demonstrate an integrated understanding of the principles of gender equality and the empowerment of girls, including a familiarity with the socio-economic profile of young women in Zanzibar
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal English proficiency
- Permanent resident or a citizen of Tanzania
Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Exploitation
YCI recognizes the unequal power dynamics inherent in international development work and our responsibility to protect the human rights of the communities we serve and provide an environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse. Youth Challenge International (YCI) commits to a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA).
Deadline to apply: February 19, 2023, 11:59pm EST.
Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single PDF document, maximum 4 pages, saved in the following format: “First Name Last Name_ Project Lead”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage early submissions.
Youth Challenge International provides equal employment opportunities regardless of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. As such, we encourage groups who have been historically disadvantaged with respect to employment to apply for positions at Youth Challenge International.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.