16 Oct Operations and Finance Manager, Uganda
Location: Mpigi, Uganda
Contract Length: 1 year, renewable
Commitment: Full time, 37.5 hours/week
Compensation: 5,000,000 USH/month
Start Date: November 6, 2023
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
HerStart Innovate the Future
HerStart Innovate the Future is an initiative developed by Youth Challenge International to foster and create innovative solutions for a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
The program includes training and support for aspiring entrepreneurs in social enterprise, gender-responsive business planning, the measurement of social impact, and access to finance. Canadian volunteers will be engaged in providing human capital support activities through on-site placements and capacity-building initiatives with partner organizations.
Reporting to the Project Lead, the Operations and Finance Manager will provide coordination and support to organizational systems and processes for HerStart in Uganda, including financial performance processes, human resources processes, reporting, cash flow management and procurement. The role will drive the coordination of program quality improvement efforts across all key program function areas.
We are seeking a passionate, skilled, and creative candidate to deliver exceptional results. We are looking for people to join our team who believe in youth as powerful agents of change and are passionate about contributing to women’s empowerment through the advancement of both national and global gender equality agendas.
- Operations Management: Provide coordination and support to organizational systems and processes for YCI Uganda, including the oversight of policies, procedures, and procurement of goods and services; Provide support the Project Lead with all YCI Uganda Human Resources functions, including management of country office contracts, performance review, onboarding and recruitment of local staff; Support planning for Canadian volunteer arrivals and work placements, including arrival and orientation logistics, accommodation during placement, intercity transportation etc.; Organize in-country volunteer orientations and lead sessions as needed; Coordinate all administrative and logistical components of YCI office acquisition and volunteer accommodation and Canadian volunteers’ visa renewals and extension related duties; Ensure YCI remains complaint with NGO registration and required compliances in Uganda; Oversee and maintain necessary reporting for local company registration requirements and ensure YCI remains compliant with evolving regulations; Co-lead the country health, safety and security risk management portfolio to ensure the safety and security of staff, volunteers, partners, consultants and related stakeholders and perform other duties as requested by the Project Lead.
- Financial Management: Coordinate with YCI Headquarters to ensure appropriate financial and administrative management and compliance with donor regulations;Prepare and submit high quality financial reports, manage and monitor cash flows related to project expenses including staff payroll processing, payment of income tax for employees and payment contributions; Lead annual budgeting exercise; Collaborate with the Project Lead and other technical team leaders to ensure program activities are implemented in accordance with the project budget and work plan; Identify areas of risk and take steps to reduce vulnerabilities; and Respect and act in accordance with accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls, ensuring compliance with donor and national regulatory requirements including audits.
- Technical Support and Training: Provide technical onboarding, training, direction and support to project staff, volunteers, partners and external stakeholders as needed on processes, guidelines and requirements for finance, operations and human resources; Support Project Lead with daily project management, contributing to project decision-making by providing input on the operational health and status of the project; Facilitate accountability and quality assurance on financial literacy through formal and informal interactions with staff and partners.
- Volunteer Management: Supervise an international and/or national volunteer in their professional deliverables that advance the goals of HerStart, and/or partner organizations; Provide coaching and mentorship to ensure their meaningful engagement and integration into the HerStart program.
Skills and Experience:
- Self-starter with 5+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience in finance, operations, procurement and/or human resources with a robust understanding of organizational accounting and financial functions
- Have an understanding of, and compatible vision for, sustainable community development, an appreciation of the contribution of volunteers to international development and ideally, are experienced in supporting or working with volunteers
- Demonstrated experience providing management and oversight of office operations, and the ability to explain accounting or financial concepts to necessary project stakeholders
- Strong command of Microsoft Excel, QuickBooks and other accounting software, with an analytical attention to detail
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal English proficiency and you are a permanent resident or a citizen of Uganda
Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Exploitation
Youth Challenge International (YCI) commits to a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and considers any such acts a gross misconduct and grounds for dismissal. YCI recognizes the unequal power dynamics inherent in international development work and our responsibility to protect the human rights of the communities we serve and provide an environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse.
Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is everyone’s responsibility, and all employees are required to sign and adhere to the PSEA Policy and Code of Conduct, at all times. All employees must ensure that they understand and act in accordance with this clause.
Deadline to apply: October 27, 2023, 11:59pm EAT (East African Time)
Please note, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage early submissions.
Please submit your CV as a single PDF document, maximum 4 pages, saved in the following format: “First Name Last Name_ Operations and Finance Manager, Uganda”.
Youth Challenge International provides equal employment opportunities regardless of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. As such, we encourage groups who have been historically disadvantaged with respect to employment to apply for positions at YCI.
No phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.