19 Jul Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager
Location: Toronto, Canada (hybrid – remote and in-office)
Commitment: Full-time, 5 days/week
Compensation: $82,000 + competitive benefits
Contract Term: 2 years, renewable
Start Date: September 2022
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning and YCI
YCI places a strong organizational focus on monitoring, evaluation, and learning, and the role of MEL Manger will drive the MEL agenda across all program portfolios – both domestic and international. A priority for YCI’s learning agenda is the HerStart: Innovate the Future program – a seven-year initiative developed by YCI and funded by Global Affairs Canada that targets the development of young entrepreneurs, primarily women, to foster and create innovative solutions for a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
For this project, YCI has partnered with Salanga to develop a locally contextualized Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) system, and to establish a framework in alignment with donor requirements. Salanga provides a technical platform to manage MEL data and the related technical support. With an emphasis on the sustainability of project activities, the strategy for learning and related activities are informed by the needs of partners, staff, project participants and current trends in each context.
YCI has expanded its portfolio to include climate leadership programs for youth aged 16-25 in the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area. Through two key programs, Innovate MY Future and the Youth Climate Leadership Program, young people are introduced to climate science and human-centered design as they co-design and deploy climate solutions with their communities. Programs run between 6-8 months and have a strong emphasis on civic engagement, climate justice, personal development, and leadership skills-building.
YCI is looking to strengthen our current MEL agenda organizationally and to advance YCI’s learning principles across new and existing programs.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager
The MEL Manger will form an integral part of the YCI management team, driving the design and implementation of the MEL strategy across all program portfolios and activities. Reporting to the Director of Innovation and Sustainability, the MEL Manager will work alongside and collaborate with the Toronto based team, as well as support and provide oversight to 3 Knowledge and Learning Managers (KLMs) in each HerStart country.
The MEL Manager will monitor the overall success of YCI’s projects, provide effective support to teams and partners on monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning. The MEL Manager will oversee the implementation of strategic, creative, and participatory solutions for learning, reporting, and sharing with internal and with external stakeholders.
The MEL Manager will also support the learning frameworks for programs across YCI’s portfolio, making contributions to business development and reporting cycles to ensure the continual iteration of program design and implementation in alignment with learning and best practices.
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical expertise and manage the ongoing development of a robust MEL strategy that informs ongoing program design, data analysis, strategic planning, work plans, annual reporting, and other critical project components across YCI. Support partners, fellows, and staff, with the resources, training and skills needed to effectively implement YCI’s MEL approach across project countries.
- Evaluation: Manage the design of project evaluations, coordinate across the team to produce high quality internal and donor reports. Design and implement activities to enhance understanding of the impacts and gaps of project activities and outcomes.
- Strategy and Learning: Manage the development of tools for the implementation and measurement of effective Partnership Sustainability Plans that contribute to the achievement of the project’s learning objectives. Contribute to YCI’s thought leadership in the youth engagement, economic inclusion, climate action and gender equality spaces.
- Support YCI Business Development: Provide support to YCI’s business development efforts across the organization as needed. Lead the development of tools and frameworks and generate program impact evidence as needed to strengthen proposals.
- Support to Special Projects and Strategic Initiatives: Provide support to special projects, proposal development and strategic initiatives in coordination with the Director of Innovation and Sustainability and Executive Director.
Skills and Experience
- Self-starter with 6+ years of experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning with an international lens;
- Demonstrated track record of designing and implementing successful MEL initiatives, including innovative, cutting-edge participatory and gender-sensitive approaches;
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data analysis skillsets;
- Proven ability to develop and implement appropriate activities to promote organizational learning and change;
- Extensive knowledge of organizational learning theory and practice;
- Aware of the approach of Global Affairs Canada to capacity building, MEL and the related reporting requirements;
- Value collaboration and have the skills to work across time zones and geographies to effectively manage teams;
- Experience in design thinking and are passionate about learning strategies and facilitation;
- Strong attention to detail and are also able to think and plan strategically;
- Experience working with young women and sustainable livelihood development;
- Work respectfully and inclusively with diverse stakeholders;
- Willing and able to travel internationally;
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal English proficiency;
- Permanent resident or a Citizen of Canada currently residing in Canada.
Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Exploitation
YCI recognizes the unequal power dynamics inherent in international development work and our responsibility to protect the human rights of the communities we serve and provide an environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse.Youth Challenge International (YCI) commits to a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA).APPLY NOW
Deadline to apply: August 1, 2022, 11:59pm EST.
Please submit your CV as a single PDF document, maximum 4 pages, saved in the following format: “First Name Last Name_ MEL Manager”. There are application questions for completion so please do not submit a cover letter.
Please note, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage early submissions.
Youth Challenge International provides equal employment opportunities regardless of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. As such, we encourage groups who have been historically disadvantaged with respect to employment to apply for positions at Youth Challenge International.
Should you require any form of accommodation during the recruitment process, kindly contact email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.