13 May Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Lead, HerStart Innovate the Future
Location: Toronto, Canada (hybrid – remote and in-office)
Commitment: 4 days/week (Monday – Thursday)
Compensation: $72,000 prorated to $57,600 for 4 days/week commitment + competitive benefits
Contract Term: 2 years, renewable
Start Date: June 2022
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners, we create market-ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
HerStart Innovate the Future
HerStart Innovate the Future is a seven-year initiative developed by Youth Challenge International and funded by Global Affairs Canada that targets the development of young entrepreneurs, primarily women, to foster and create innovative solutions for a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
The program delivers training and support for aspiring entrepreneurs in social enterprise, gender responsive business planning, social impact measurement, and access to finance through the HerStart Catalyst Fund. Volunteers in fellowship placements from Canada and each program country are engaged in providing human capital support for activities by supporting the design and delivery of the program and capacity building initiatives with partner organizations in each country. This initiative provides programmatic support for organizations to effectively deliver environmental and gender-responsive activities that drive innovative, sustainable and equitable business ventures. The entrepreneurial ecosystem in each country will be further catalyzed to identify and reduce gendered barriers, fostering more enabling environments, including access to finance, for young women entrepreneurs.
HerStart Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
HerStart places a strong focus on learning across the program. YCI has partnered with Salanga to develop a locally contextualized Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) system, and to establish a framework in alignment with donor requirements. Salanga provides a technical platform to manage MEL data and the related technical support. With an emphasis on the sustainability of project activities, the strategy for learning and related activities are informed by the needs of partners, staff, project participants and current trends in each context.
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Lead will provide support and oversight for 3 Knowledge and Learning Managers in each country to drive HerStart’s data collection and learning agenda. The MEL Lead will monitor the overall success of the project and provide effective support to teams and partners on monitoring, evaluation, and learning. Working in collaboration with Salang and the KLMs, the MEL Lead will oversee the implementation of strategic, creative and participatory solutions for learning, reporting and sharing with internal and with external stakeholders.
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical expertise and lead the ongoing development of a robust MEL strategy that informs ongoing program design, data analysis, strategic planning, work plans, annual reporting, and other critical project components. Support partners, fellows, and staff, with the resources, training and skills needed to effectively implement HerStart’s MEL approach across project countries.
- Evaluation: Lead the design of midterm and endline evaluations, coordinate reporting and design and implement activities to enhance understanding of the impact and gaps of project activities and outcomes.
- Strategy and Learning: Lead the development of tools for the implementation and measurement of effective Partnership Sustainability Plans and corresponding Communities of Practice that contribute to the achievement of the project’s learning objectives. Contribute to YCI’s thought leadership in the youth engagement, economic inclusion, climate action and gender equality spaces.
- Support to Special Projects and Strategic Initiatives: Provide support to special projects and strategic initiatives in coordination with the Senior Project Manager and Executive Director.
Skills and Experience
- Self-starter with 5+ years of experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning with an international lens
- Demonstrated track record of designing and implementing successful MEL initiatives, including innovative, cutting-edge participatory and gender-sensitive approaches
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data analysis skillsets
- Proven ability to develop and implement appropriate activities to promote organizational learning and change
- Extensive knowledge of organizational learning theory and practice
- Aware of the approach of Global Affairs Canada to capacity building, MEL and the related reporting requirements
- Value collaboration and have the skills to work across time zones and geographies to effectively manage teams
- Have experience in design thinking and are passionate about learning strategies and facilitation
- Strong attention to detail and are also able to think and plan strategically
- Experience working with young women and sustainable livelihood development
- Work respectfully and inclusively with diverse stakeholders
- Willing and able to travel internationally
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal English proficiency
- Permanent resident or a Citizen of Canada currently residing in Canada
Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Youth Challenge International (YCI) commits to a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and considers any such acts a gross misconduct and grounds for dismissal. YCI recognizes the unequal power dynamics inherent in international development work and our responsibility to protect the human rights of the communities we serve and provide an environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse.
Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is everyone’s responsibility, and all employees are required to sign and adhere to the PSEA Policy and Code of Conduct, at all times. All employees must ensure that they understand and act in accordance with this clause.
Deadline to apply: June 14, 2022, 11:59pm EST
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single PDF document, saved in the following format: “First Name Last Name_ MEL Lead” at the link below.APPLY NOW
Youth Challenge International provides equal employment opportunities regardless of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. As such, we encourage groups who have been historically disadvantaged with respect to employment to apply for positions at Youth Challenge International.
Should you require any form of accommodation during the recruitment process, kindly contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted