12 Jul Digital Media & Research Intern
Partner Organization: EDC
Partner Location: Senegal
Commitment: 4 months
Position Location: Remote
Language Requirement: Fluent in written and spoken English and French
Eligibility Requirement: Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents aged 19-30 at the start of placements
Placement Period: August 16 – December 17, 2021
Hours: 37.5 hours/week
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, EDC has been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
The Amelioration des performances de travail et d’entreprenariat (APTE) project, funded by the Mastercard Foundation, is a five-year EDC initiative to equip 30,000 Senegalese youth with the skills they need to secure jobs or to start businesses. Through a partnership with Senegal’s Ministry of Technical and Vocational Education (TVET) and Ministry of Education, APTE brings work readiness training and school-to-work transition support into Senegal’s general lower secondary system and TVET system so that youth are prepared to build their own futures. APTE works at the national, regional, and local systems level to support the government, schools, local NGOs and the private sector to adopt best practices in youth employment and entrepreneurship programming.
APTE is seeking a passionate, creative, and highly adaptable young person to join the team and document and share lessons learned, best practices, and other key messages from this innovative youth employment project. The Digital Media and Research intern will also assist with coordinating elements of an app for young entrepreneurs. This position will liaise with the Project Management, Communications, and Monitoring and Evaluation teams in Senegal, as well as technical advisors in the US.
What you’ll do:
- Draft, summarize and edit succinct communication products and pieces of varying lengths for external and internal audiences.
- Develop creative ideas for infographics, charts, images that creatively convey key messages and data for the project.
- Interview project staff for an internal best practices and lessons learned report; write up and present the findings to senior management.
- Collect and maintain databases of key communications materials, in English and French.
- Support in the coordination of script translation, recording, sound editing, and uploading of audio files from the field team for use in an app for young entrepreneurs.
- Coordinate and upload photographs for use in an app for young entrepreneurs.
You’ll fit right in if you have:
- Fluency in English and French (written and spoken).
- Strong project management, research and organization skills.
- Previous experience in communications, reporting and/or digital media.
- Strong attention to detail, planning, and time management skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized, motivated self-starter
- Previous experience in graphic design will be considered an asset.
- Advanced proficiency in communications applications is preffered (Adobe, photoshop, indesign or illustrator, moviemaker, etc.).
- Strong commitment to EDC’s mission and values.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views.
- $18/hour +4% vacation pay
- 37.5 hours/week
- Please note, this remuneration is taxable income that is subject to statutory deductions.
- Career coaching, training, networking, Solutions Lab events, and more!
How to apply:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. Submit early and don’t miss the chance to participate in the experience of a lifetime!
Due to the competitive nature of this role, no phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Innovate ME is generously funded by the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada.