12 Jul Career Development Program Intern
Partner Organization: Soronko Academy
Partner Location: Ghana
Length: 4 months
Position Location: Remote
Language Requirement: English
Eligibility Requirement: Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents aged 19-30 at the start of placements
Placement Period: August 16 – December 17, 2021
Hours: 37.5 hours/week
Soronko Academy is a leading technology and digital skills development center in Africa, pioneering the way for talented young women to realize their economic potential by equipping them with the technical and soft skills they need to attain dignified, fulfilling jobs and overcome the gender gap in technology. Through its wide geographic reach and suite of public and private partnerships, Soronko Academy cultivates the next generation of female innovators who leverage their critical thinking skills and entrepreneurial spirit to create solutions that address their community’s most pressing problems.
At Soronko Academy our main measure of impact is connecting the women and girls we train to dignified and fulfilling work. This involves post-training support in connecting alumni with jobs, internships, scholarships and support to start their own tech-enabled businesses. The Career Development Program Intern will support the Career Development Advisor to offer alumni career planning and counseling assistance, develop partnerships with companies to secure jobs and internship and conduct trainings to further develop students’ employability skills.
What you’ll do:
- Support the team in the development of impactful career services programs to help students and alumni in exploring and planning career options.
- Support in the planning and provision of career and guidance counseling.
- Work with students on their specific needs for career development, as required.
- Support in the implementation of trainings, workshops, presentations, and other events to further develop career planning and employability skills for students and other staff; this may include resume building, interview skills and professionalism.
- Research and analyze current employment trends in various industries to help inform program design and resource development.
- Support in conducting research and outreach to potential employers for new job opportunities for program participants.
- Track and report on alumni that connect with jobs, internships or start their own business.
You’ll fit right in if you have:
- Experience and/or strong interest in the provision of career development support and employability skills enhancement.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, planning, time management, and multi-tasking abilities.
- Strong research, training and organization skills.
- Proficient in social media and digital platforms.
- Advanced ability to work on a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to be proactive, take initiative and work independently.
- Previous experience mentoring or coaching is preferred.
- Strong commitment to Soronko’s mission and values, including anti-discrimination, youth and women’s empowerment
- $18/hour +4% vacation pay
- 37.5 hours/week
- Please note, this remuneration is taxable income that is subject to statutory deductions.
- Career coaching, training, networking, Solutions Lab events, and more!
How to apply:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. Submit early and don’t miss the chance to participate in the experience of a lifetime!
Due to the competitive nature of this role, no phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Innovate ME is generously funded by the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada.