24 Jul EQWIP HUBs: Project Lead. Consultancy position
Company Name: Youth Challenge International
Project Title: EQWIP HUBs Powering Youth Innovation for Sustainable Livelihoods
Start: As soon as possible
Working Location: Dakar, Senegal
ABOUT EQWIP HUBs
Do you want to work with a team of energetic, skilled and passionate individuals who are motivated to create innovative solutions for sustainable youth livelihoods? If yes, then EQWIP HUBs is the team for you!
Powered by Canadian leaders in global youth development – Youth Challenge International (YCI) and Canada World Youth (CWY) – the EQWIP HUBs project is a global network that connects Canadian volunteers, youth participants, and international partners through innovative programming in six developing countries.
Through 18 knowledge centres in Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs offers entrepreneurship and employment training so that young people, especially women, can come together to gain market-relevant skills and learn from mentors. Our youth focused, collaborative and tech-friendly approach is unique. By working in partnership with global peers – we can create a better future for all. Together, we’re on a mission to change the lives of 100,000 youth by 2020.
Each recognized as Canadian leaders, YCI and CWY bring a combined 70 years of expertise in global youth development. Forty thousand young people around the world have been transformed through YCI’s youth innovation initiatives and CWY’s world-renowned global reciprocal exchange programs, proving young people can lead real change in global health, the environment, and youth livelihoods.
YCI is seeking a Project Lead to provide operational leadership and oversight to the EQWIP HUBs project in Senegal for a period of 6 months, in the specific context of the project closure. We are seeking a passionate, skilled, creative, independent and dynamic candidate to drive and deliver exceptional results. We are looking for people to join our team who believe in youth as powerful agents of change and their ability to transform lives and communities.
Month of August 2019 – January 31, 2020
The Consultant will be based in Dakar, Senegal. Travel to Saint Louis is required to execute the contract.
The Consultant, reporting to the Project Director, EQWIP HUBs, will provide leadership for the EQWIP HUBs Senegal project, lead the delivery and oversight of project activities and results, and lead project closure and reporting.
- Provide interim leadership and management for the Senegal project, including oversight to 10-person country project team
- Manage the execution of project workplans and budgets to achieve targets
- Provide financial oversight, manage cash-flow, review payment requests, and manage expenditures to budget
- Maintain continuity of project operations in Senegal, retain country staff, and keep productive partnerships with partner implementing agencies
- Provide oversight for Canadian volunteer safety and security in coordination with the Operations Manager and Hub Coordinators
- Lead the closure of the Senegal project, observing GAC contractual obligations and Senegalese legal requirements
- Coordinate staff and volunteers to execute the project closure report
- Prepare and ensure transfer of assets to implementing partner organizations
- Lead the final reconciliation of accounts with country and headquarter GLs, liquidation of advances/payables, and closure of project accounts
- Perform other duties as required by the Project Director, EQWIP HUBs
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- University degree;
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible management and leadership experience at a management/director level;
- Demonstrate passion for working with youth and an understanding of the current situation for young people;
- An appreciation of the contribution of volunteers to international development and ideally, experienced in supporting or working with volunteers;
- Sound financial planning and budget management skills;
- Proven ability to develop, implement, monitor and deliver results through work plans and training plans;
- Demonstrate team management, mentoring abilities and experience supporting staff teams;
- Proven understanding and commitment to addressing gender and equity issues;
- Strong time management, planning and prioritization skills;
- Strong interpersonal, representation, negotiation and communication skills;
- Strong verbal and written English skills; ability to work in French is preferred;
- Experience in the region is considered a strong asset.
The Consultant shall receive the following compensation upon receipt of an invoice from the Consultant. An invoice should be submitted each calendar month.
YCI shall pay the Consultant CAD$450 per day.
YCI shall also pay the Consultant a per-diem of up to XOF 44,203.5 per Calendar day in Dakar and XOF 35,362.8 in Saint Louis for the first 120 days, and XOF 33,041.00 XOF 26,432.80 thereafter as per the Government of Canada’s Treasury Board Guidelines.
YCI will pay for flights and visa’s expenses strictly related to this service. YCI shall also pay the Consultant up to CAD $150 for hotel costs per night in Dakar and up to CAD $80 per night for hotel costs in Saint Louis. Such payment shall be made on provision of receipt of stay and accompanying invoice.
Emergency Medical & Evacuation insurance for the duration of the field assignment is provided by YCI. The consultant should procure travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, lost baggage etc. if desired.
Deadline to apply: August 30, 2019
Application process: applications will be considered upon submission. Please submit your cover letter and CV as one Word or PDF document email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senegal Project Lead” in the subject line.
No phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.