10 Aug Request for Proposal – Climate Solutions Accelerator, Consultant
Youth Challenge International (YCI) invites proposals from experienced consultants or firms to support the design and delivery of YCI’s Climate Solutions Accelerator – a 6-month program that supports GTHA-based youth ages 19-25 to develop sustainable low-carbon initiatives or green businesses. The consultant will bring experience in youth engagement, design thinking, social entrepreneurship and/or sustainable business design. It would be considered a strong asset if the consultant also has an excellent understanding of the climate crisis, climate change science, mitigation and adaptation solutions, and the current state, standards, and best practices relating to green business development.
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners, we create market-ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the centre of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
Scope of work:
YCI seeks a consultant or firm to design (including developing content and materials) for 4, 2-day ‘intensive’ virtual workshops focused on supporting youth to accelerate climate-focused projects or ventures as part of the Climate Solutions Accelerator program. The consultant or firm will also lead the virtual facilitation of the 4, 2-day ‘intensive’ workshops for 2 cohorts.
The 4 weekend intensives have the following themes and topics contextualized for low-carbon businesses and climate solutions:
- Session 1: Unpacking complex problems
- Systems thinking
- Ecosystem mapping
- Design research / lean research methods
- Traditional ecological knowledge
- Climate science
- Session 2: Designing innovative & high-impact solutions
- Design thinking
- Intro to social enterprise/social innovation
- Evaluating opportunities
- Behavioural science
- Session 3: Building strategy
- Social enterprise and/or sustainable business models
- Business modelling
- Theory of change
- Session 4: Operationalizing & implementing
- Data-driven decision making
- Impact measurement
- Mobilizing others – volunteers, staff, other stakeholders
These sessions should be highly participatory, experiential and applied. Each session will have 30 participants and the consultant will be supported by 1-3 YCI staff to deliver the sessions.
These sessions will take place virtually.
YCI has developed a program framework with learning outcomes and topic guidelines for the whole 6-month Climate Solutions Accelerator program including the 4, 2-day intensives. The consultant would be asked to design the sessions against this framework and there would be opportunity, as desired, for the consultant to provide feedback/make recommendations on the framework.
Specific deliverables include:
- Design of the four two-day sessions based on YCI’s program framework and learning outcomes for each session
- Development of any participant materials such as worksheets/workbooks and other session support materials including pre-work, post-session work and accompanying session slides
- Engagement with YCI team between sessions to analyze participant feedback and make adjustments for future sessions as needed
- Delivery of two rounds the four two-day sessions (for two cohorts of the program – cohort 1 and cohort 2)
Consultants or firms should have demonstrable experience designing and delivering participatory and high-impact training for youth, including in virtual settings. It is expected that the consultant/firm will have strong knowledge of and experience with the majority of the themes/topics outlined but that there will be some that require additional subject matter expertise through guest facilitation and/or guest speakers (which YCI has a separate budget to support).
Schedule of activities:
- Session design complete – October 2020
- Session delivery – cohort 1 – October 2020 – November 2020
- Session delivery – cohort 2 – January 2020 – February 2020
The maximum budget available for this project is $17,000 plus HST.
Please submit your proposal in a single PDF attachment through the button below by Sunday, August 23 detailing;
- Your approach to completing the work including any specific methods or tools you would propose (max 1 page)
- Your experience, including past examples of similar work, and fit for this opportunity (max 1 page)
- CV of consultant(s) involved
- Contact information for 2 previous clients to serve as a recommendation
Proposals will be assessed for alignment with the scope of work and approach as well as value for money. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.SUBMIT NOW