09 Oct Gender Equality Consultant, Ghana
Location: Ghana (remote)
Timeline: October 2020 – April 2021
Compensation: 930 GHC/day
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
HerStart: Innovate the Future
HerStart: Innovate the Future is an initiative developed by Youth Challenge International that targets the development of young entrepreneurs, primarily women, to foster and create innovative solutions for a more equitable and prosperous economy within Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
The program includes training and support for aspiring young entrepreneurs in social enterprise, gender responsive business planning, social impact measurement, and access to finance through the HerStart Catalyst Fund. Canadian and local volunteers will be engaged in providing human capital support for activities through on-site and remote placements that support the execution of the program and capacity building initiatives with partner organizations. This initiative provides programmatic support for organizations to more effectively deliver environmental and gender-responsive activities that drive sustainable and equitable business ventures. The entrepreneurial ecosystem in each country will be further catalyzed to identify and reduce gendered barriers, in order to foster more enabling environments, including access to finance, for young women’s economic empowerment.
Women’s economic empowerment is central to realizing women’s rights and gender equality. Women’s economic empowerment includes women’s ability to participate equally in existing markets; their access to and control over productive resources, access to decent work, control over their own time, lives and bodies; and increased voice, agency and meaningful participation in economic decision-making at all levels from the household to international institutions.
Gender Equality Consultant
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Gender Consultant will support YCI Country Teams and partners in the development of the Gender Equality Strategy and gender-based capacity building initiatives for HerStart.
- Strategy Development: Lead the development of the HerStart Gender Strategy by collaborating with stakeholders to adapt and contextualize the gender strategy, and related policies and processes – including gender themed health, risk and safety frameworks – at the country level.
- Analysis: Analyze the quality and effectiveness of existing gender programming and identify opportunities and gaps to further mainstream gender throughout, drawing on the support of YCI staff and HerStart volunteers.
- Research: Conduct policy-relevant research on the priority areas for gender equality and economic empowerment of women within each program country.
- Technical Support: Provide gender technical support to the HerStart program to enhance project outcomes, develop training materials and resources for HerStart staff and volunteers and inform capacity building activities with partners.
- Documentation: Research, document and analyze best practices, challenges, lessons learned and trends for continuous learning. Contribute to HerStart’s Community of Practice through the provision of training and resources.
- HerStart Gender Strategy and Implementation Plan
- Gender focused training and resources package to guide technical support
- Report integrating research findings and learnings
Skills and Experience:
You are a self-starter with 7+ years of experience developing and implementing organizational and programmatic gender strategies, specifically providing technical advice and building capacity for gender equality and women’s empowerment outcomes; you have concrete experience providing technical advice and conducting research related to gender transformative programming in women’s economic empowerment and gender-based violence; you possess sound knowledge of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal 5 and Global Affairs’ Canada Feminist International Assistance Policy; you are passionate about investing in women and youth; you are inspired by the potential of innovation and social entrepreneurship; you work respectfully and inclusively with diverse stakeholders; you are an effective communicator with excellent written and verbal English proficiency.
How to apply:
Please submit in a single PDF attachment which should include the following components:
- Your expertise, including past examples of similar work, and fit for this opportunity.
- Your CV
- Contact information for two previous clients to serve as a recommendation.
Deadline to apply is October 23 and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.APPLY NOW
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.