<% Dim AKAButton, AKASubButton, AKASubSubButton AKAButton = 4 AKASubButton = 5 AKASubSubButton = 5 %> Youth Challenge International - How YCI Uses Your Fundraising
YOUTH CHALLENGE INTERNATIONAL
HOW YCI USES YOur FUNDRAISING

Youth Challenge International has over 20 years of experience in effectively managing volunteer and donor support. YCI programming focuses on sustainable youth development, which means that all overhead costs are kept to a minimum to maximize the efficiency of our programs, on both the local and international level.

YCI follows the Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability Code of the Canadian Centre for Philanthropy, and adheres to the guidelines provided by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The CRA’s Income Tax Act allows for a range of 80% for programming costs and 20% on fundraising and administration for charities. YCI’s expenditure consists of 88% programming costs and 12% administration costs.

Here is a breakdown of how the funds from your fundraising are used:

88% goes towards programming costs including:
  • Development programming and long-term management costs. Our programs are designed to be sustainable and robust, even without volunteer involvement, with costs devoted to long-term development programs.
  • The recruitment, selection and placement of volunteers. This represents our staff team dedicated to marketing and volunteer recruitment, selection and preparation for overseas placements.
  • Volunteer food, travel, accommodation and volunteer management costs. These are the direct costs associated with your experience overseas. We try to live modestly overseas, by eating local food and staying in appropriate local accommodation.
12% goes towards administration costs including:
  • Office rent and expenses, computers, communications, insurance, accounting, legal costs and administrative salaries to keep the organization professionally managed.

Since only 12% of funds are absorbed by YCI, the other 88% goes directly towards supporting the development programs that YCI participates in. It is used to support and create sustainability for local partner organizations, and to provide resources for our partners to create independent programs.

We are audited by the Canadian Government and audited annually by an independently selected auditor. For more information on our finances, please see our audited financial statements. Note that we are not in a position to provide or discuss detailed financial records with individual donors.